Young Parents’ College & Support
Karanga Mai is a school for teen and young parents. It offers:
- The opportunity to study and gain qualifications at secondary and tertiary level with help from qualified teachers.
- A programme of group activities for personal development, parenting, recreation and fun.
- A licensed child-care centre with a diverse and personalised programme for 0-5 year olds.
- Social Work support for young parents and their children.
- Support with career planning, and access to other services like budgeting advice, Plunket and WINZ.
- An opportunity to meet and make friends with other young parents.
- Transport to and from College if needed. Transport costs may be covered by the Training Incentive Allowance.
The College operates Monday to Friday in our premises on Robert Coup Road, Kaiapoi—only 20 minutes from central Christchurch.
What’s Special About Karanga Mai?
Karanga Mai was the first teen parent school in the South Island and the second to be established in New Zealand. It offers study support to young parents who want to continue their education and has an excellent record of achievement. It also provides one-to-one and group support, as well as a licensed child-care centre for the children. Established in 1992 to support young parents, it works closely with other services in the community including WINZ, Plunket, budget advice and counselling.
Karanga Mai is open to pregnant and teen parents living in Christchurch and the Waimakariri area.
School fees, child-care and transport costs can be covered by WINZ subsidies.