Dear Parents and Caregivers,
Well, my first update in Level 2. Here’s hoping that the next one will be in Level 1, but I am not holding my breath…
We have the entire staff back at school today and there was a real feeling of excitement as we made connections again after such a long period away. We had a full staff turnout, and spent the morning going through our Level 2 plan. I have attached the plan to this email for you to have a look at. The only change we made was on Monday morning our staff would like to start the school in tutor time so that we can touch base with our students and answer any questions that our students may have.
Our plan is based on three key principles:
1. We have been advised that schools are safe. It is safe for all students and staff to return to school in Alert Level 2. Schools are safe because hygiene habits will be strong and schools will put in place safe and sensible practices.
2. We will have in place processes that focus on minimising the risk that someone gets infected in the first place. This will mean staying at home if you are unwell and making sure that classrooms are protected with the use of hand sanitiser before entry.3. We will ensure that we can identify and trace anyone who has been in contact with a person if there is cause for concern. There will be an absolute focus on track and tracing.
This means that all elements of school will continue with only a couple of short term exceptions:
1. There will be no overnight trips for the first two weeks. This will be re-evaluated after this time.
2. We will make a decision on sports after our Board meeting on Wednesday. It is likely that we will follow the NZ Rugby approach of getting ready, practice, games, with us in the getting ready stage.
All subjects will continue as normal (with added hygiene and tracing) including such activities as music lessons.
Buses will run as normal.
The canteen will be open. We have taken measures to make sure it runs under our H&S conditions. The drinking fountains will not be used except to fill drink bottles, please bring your own drink bottles. This is good practice anyway with meningitis etc.
Our students will be expected to follow all new health and safety precautions. If they choose not to, then we will be in the unpleasant position of not allowing entry to school for those students until they accept the new rules.
The Ministry of Health, who have done a fantastic job to date, have told us schools are safe. I am looking forward to seeing our students back on Monday. You can help by:
• Keeping your children at home if they feel unwell. Get a test. It is easier now and results are returned quickly.
• If you decide that you do not believe in the message that schools are safe and choose to keep your sons and daughters at home, please make sure you are aware that the school is no longer providing online learning. Our teachers are not going to provide both at the same time. Please notify the school if you are in this situation.
My next update will be on Monday.
Have a great weekend.